Safaricom and KPLC have announced a partnership to allow the telco’s customers –both prepaid and postpaid– to pay for electricity bills using Bonga points.
Through the partnership, Safaricom customers will now enjoy the convenience of using Bonga points to pay for power bills or tokens.
Here’s how you can do that.
- Dial *126# and select “Lipa na Bonga Points”
- Select Pay Bill
- Enter KPLC’s Business number (888888 for postpaid or 888880 for prepaid/tokens)
- Enter account number or meter number
- Enter the amount you want to pay(1 Bonga point equals 20 cents)
- Confirm entered details then enter your unique service PIN to complete the payment.
About the Service
The ability to pay bills using Bonga points is part of Safaricom’s Bonga Everywhere service. Bonga Everywhere lets you pay your bills at Lipa na M-PESA merchants using Bonga points. The conversion rate is 1 Bonga point for 20 cents.
Since a conversion rate is what guides the conversion, obviously, you won’t be able to get it right on the amount of Bonga Points needed to settle a bill. So, to check the number of points needed, dial *126# then select “Lipa na Bonga,” then choose “Bonga Calculator.” Safaricom will ask you the amount of cash you want to pay and once you’ve filled that, wait for a response via SMS.
Remember to use the service you must have a PIN which can be set by dialing the *126# menu under “Set or Change Bonga PIN.”